Scholarships in Canada for International Students Without IELTS: Canada is an exciting and rewarding experience for international students.
Also, it suits those that are passionate about advancing their educational careers.
This is because Canadian universities are known for their academic research excellence. Also, they are famous for their accommodating nature for international students irrespective of their various backgrounds.
However, some international students may face the challenge of sitting for and passing the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination.
IELTS is an international standardized test of English language proficiency (run by the British Council) for non-native English language speakers. If you fall into such a category of international student, never worry as there are institutions and schools you would apply for a scholarship without having to write the IELTS.
Here is a list of scholarships in Canada for students without IELTS.
Scholarships in Canada for International Students without IELTS
Table of Contents
Scholarships in Canada for International Students without IELTS: McGill University
McGill University is one of the famous universities in Canada with research and academic excellence.
The institution has provisions for international students without IELTS if such a student’s mother tongue (language first learned and still used daily) is English. If such a student has obtained (or is yet to obtain) an undergraduate/graduate degree from a recognized institution where English is the language of instruction.
Also, the same goes for a student who has lived and attended university or been employed, for at least four consecutive years, in a country where English is the acknowledged primary language.
University of Alberta Scholarship
The University of Alberta is among the top 5 Canadian universities located in Edmonton, Alberta, and home to 40,000 students in various programs. The university also boasts lucrative scholarships and funding options available to international students.
Also, the University of Alberta has made provisions for international students without IELTS to be admitted into their programs with the following options:
- Previous education in English as recognized by the University of Alberta.
- Complete the U of A’s Bridging Program.
- Complete approved courses by the University of Alberta (and reach a minimum grade in that course).
- Moreover, complete a test of English Language Proficiency and earn the minimum score required by the school
University of Montreal Scholarships
With its roots in Montreal and its eyes on the international horizon, the Université de Montréal (UdeM) is one of the world’s leading research universities. UdeM also offers a world-class education in all fields of study, emphasizing interdisciplinary approaches.
Here, you have everything you need for an enriching international experience that will open you to new horizons. The requirements for study in the university include a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ), a study permit, and in some cases, a visitor visa from the Government of Canada.
The university has several scholarships to support international students in their academic pursuits. For example, the UdeM exemption scholarship program supports international candidates in their university studies.
University of Toronto Scholarships
The University of Toronto is Canada’s top tertiary institution, with a long history of challenging the impossible and transforming society through the ingenuity and resolve of its faculty, students, alumni, and supporters.
Further, the University of Toronto provides conditions for students who are not proficient in Use of English. It is a university that offers scholarships in Canada without IELTS.
If English is not your first language (that is. not the first language of your childhood), you will need to provide evidence of an adequate English facility for admission consideration unless you qualify for an exemption.
You may qualify for an exemption from the English facility requirement if one of the following applies to you:
- You have completed/are completing four or more years of full-time academic study in a recognized Canadian school (in Canada) that teaches in English
- Also, you have completed/are completing four or more years of full-time academic study in an English language school located in a country where the dominant language is English
- Your first language is French, and you have completed four or more years of full-time academic study at a Canadian school.
Scholarships in Canada for International Students without IELTS: University of Waterloo
University of Waterloo, Canada, is famous for its interest in supporting innovation to solve problems on a global scale. Located on the Haldimand Tract, the school is home to more than 42,000+ students with a network spanning more than 220,000 alumni in 151 countries.
Waterloo is #1 in Canada for experiential learning and employer-student connections. Also, the institution provides several scholarship opportunities for international students. The following exemptions are for students not having IELTS or other English Language proficiency certificates:
- You have completed three or more years of post-secondary education or completed a graduate degree in an exempt country.
- You are employed for at least three years in a position in which English was the language of business in an exempt country
- Finally, you have completed three or more years of post-secondary education or completed a graduate degree at a university where English is the only language of instruction on the International Association of Universities World Higher Education Database(WHED).
Scholarships in Canada for International Students without IELTS: Queen’s University
Queen’s University is home to thousands of international students studying for an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in Canada.
The university provides funding resources to international students with excellent academic credentials. International students without IELTS are to take advantage of this opportunity and receive training in one of the reputable universities in Canada as the following exemptions are in place.
- Students who have lived in a country where English is the acknowledged primary language for the most recent three years before beginning their university studies or
- Students who attended an academic institution full-time where the medium of instruction is English for the most recent three years before beginning their university studies
As an international student passionate about studying in a Canadian university, IELTS test score should not be a barrier or setback for you not to apply for studies in Canada as there are several options available for those without IELTS certification.
Therefore, go ahead and apply for admissions into Canadian Universities that provide exemptions that you meet as part of their requirements.