Get Your Canadian Passport Using These 5 Simple Steps: after securing your Canadian citizenship, use the steps here to get your Canadian Passport.
First, we want to say a big congratulations to you for becoming a Canadian citizen. We fully understand how difficult/uneasy it can be, getting to this stage. But if you reflect on the importance of why you need to be a Canadian citizen, I am sure we both agree that the stress worths it.
With that aside, we feel it is necessary you know that you will require your Canadian passport anytime you are returning to Canada from a foreign country. If you have dual citizenship and need to travel back to Canada immediately, apply for authorization.
Please note that you will be allowed to apply for a Canadian passport if you are a Canadian citizen of 16 years and above. Parents or guardians can also apply for their children. Using this article, we will be giving you detailed information on how you can apply for your Canadian passport immediately.
Table of Contents
Get Your Canadian Passport Using These 5 Simple Steps: Prelims
- Download and Fill out the online application form.
- Ensure you sign each page of this form as required on form.
- Get all the required documents, including your passport photo, ready.
- Some of the documents you will require for this process include:
- The filled online application form
- The original proof of your Canadian citizenship
- A government-issued means of identification
- Two passport photographs.
In an event where you have altered your name, omitted your place of birth on your passport, or had a change of sex, you might be required to provide additional documents. Have it in mind that the above documents should be in English or French Language.
Get Your Canadian Passport Using These 5 Simple Steps: Guarantor and IRCC
The third step involves you getting a guarantor and two references to enable the IRCC to confirm your identity and also be able to reach you when your application is under review. Have it in mind that you can’t use anyone as a guarantor for this process. Some relevant criteria needed from your guarantor includes:
- Must be a Canadian citizen of 18years or above
- Must have known you for two years or above
- Members of your family or anyone living at your address is acceptable
- Must have a recognized and valid government-issued Canadian passport.
Please, note that your references should also share the requirement with the guarantor but should not be a family member. Impliedly, your reference should not be your family member but should meet all the requisites listed above for the guarantor.
Submission of application and payment of fees
You can submit your application in person or via mail. You can also have it picked up. However, it will cause you additional fees. If you want your passport faster, you can expedite the process at an additional cost. The passport fees are available below. Please, have in mind that this is subject to change in the future.
- Adult passport valid for 5years – $120
- Adult passport valid for 10years – $160
- Child Passport for 0 – 15 years – $57
If you are sending the document by mail, then you might need the below address.
Address if sending by mail:
- Government of Canada
- Passport program
- Gatineau, Quebec K1A 0G3
The final step is receiving your passport.
You can receive your passport via mail or in person. All important original documents initially submitted will be returned to you. So, you don’t have to worry about losing them. That is how to Get Your Canadian Passport Using These 5 Simple Steps